A Non-Fisherman Reports on Fishing in the Hobie Oasis

One of my goals this year was to catch something and then eat it. Rabbits are too fast, so I had to resort to fishing. My dad, an avid fisherman, has tried to take me fishing on multiple occasions, but I have gone fishing more than I have caught fish (though my Dad called them bait).

Yesterday, a friend and I took out the Hobie Oasis and a couple of borrowed poles. We were fishing for dinner, so given my past experience, I suspected that it would take all day for me to catch anything at all.

After 2 hours, we had caught 9 Rainbow Trout, 5 of which I caught! This is a fish story, but those numbers are no exaggeration. I finally understand why people like fishing: it's fun when you actually catch fish.

As a whitewater kayaker, I have always thought of a tandem kayak as more of a novelty, not something that you would ever buy. However, fishing in the Hobie Oasis was really enjoyable for several reasons. I get bored easily, so it was nice to have someone right next to you to talk to without worrying about "scaring the fish." When either of us caught a fish, dealing with getting it off the hook was a breeze, since one person could hold the pole while the other freed the fish. Having the tandem also made it easy and maintainable to get up to "trolling speed."

The Hobie Oasis was great, but there were a few things that I wish were different. There is some Hobie gear that I would want added, for example Rod Holders. I was scared to put 100% into casting in the Oasis. I cannot say that I have good technique or precision aim, and I like the person that I was kayaking with, so I was scared that I might hook him. This is when the Hobie Pro Angler would be awesome! The Pro Angler allows you to get into the sweet spots, but still stand up to cast.

In summary, I had a great time fishing in the Hobie. So much so that I plan on going again. And who wouldn't when you are catching fish roughly every 13 minutes?