My First Triathlon in Vibram Five Fingers

When I first signed up for the triathlon, I was not sure if I would actually do the run in Vibram Five Fingers, even though I have been running exclusively in them for about four months. I consider myself a casual recreator, but I did not want to give up time in the transition either.



In preparation for the race, I tried running in my old Nikes. For some reason, I thought it would be easier. My gosh did it hurt! I am a frequent reader of birthdayshoes.com and now I know what Justin is talking about when he calls traditional running shoes "foot coffins". My feet cramped after about half a mile and stayed that way for the whole 3 mile loop. Needless to say, wearing "normal" shoes might have saved 5 seconds in the transition, but would have cost me a lot more than that on the run.